Thursday, August 12, 2010

Timex Global Trainer Review

Timex Global Trainer review

We received a Timex Global trainer at work as a Demo model and I was given the task of learning how to use the watch and to write a review.

It arrived without a manual so firstly I had to learn my way around the menus with no instruction.


Once I figured out that I had to hold the back/ pwr button down for a few seconds to unlock the menu it was very straight forward to navigate, the main two screens I was interested in were the Performance and the Configuration menus.

Entering my personal information in the configuration screen was very straight forward; To begin with I had to enter my details in imperial measurements as that is how it was currently set up. Eg, being a demo model, it had been started by the time it got to me and most likely had Imperial selected as its default.

The performance menu was pre-set with the information that I was interested in (Current Speed / Time / Heart rate and Distance) so I didn’t need to make any changes however that is just as easy as pressing the enter button while in performance page. You can customise the display between 1 – 4 pieces of data over 5 pages, so this should provide more information than needed.

Now for the road test, I ran 9km with a Garmin 405cx on one Wrist and the Timex Global Trainer on the other to compare the data provided by both.


Firstly I used the Timex heart rate strap is ant + so this is compatible with the Garmin and the whole time the heart rate readings were exactly the same as each other, so this was the first plus.


In the time I was waiting for the green man to change to cross the road I was able to acquire the GPS satellites and was ready to go (approx 1 minute).


Throughout the run I kept a close eye on the speed and distance between the Garmin and the Timex Global trainer. The readings were very close with the speed .1 - .2 of a km/ph difference at any given time. After I had completed the 9km there was a 250m difference between the Garmin and the Timex, Garmin showing the further distance.


The Global trainer connects to training peaks to download its history, This was a very straight forward process after downloading some software from training peaks You are able to see a comprehensive break down of your training session. I have had a brief look at Training peaks, it is a very in-depth training site, which will be well worth getting to know better when I have time.

If you want all the specification they can be found here - Global Trainer Specs
For a more detail review of the timex Global Trainer see DC rain makers review



Final verdict, Large watch face, however very comfortable to wear, (I found it more comfortable than the 405cx). Accurate information and display easy to see at night using the indiglo light, I would give it 4 out of 5 with the only downfall being the size of the watch face itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment